Supplement Spotlight: Unbound™ Unload Pre-Workout
No matter how many pre-workouts hit the market, there’s always room for more, right? The better companies create something different, something that stands out, like Unload by Unbound™. The also-rans push out one more under-dosed pre-workout filled with prop blends. Which would you rather use? The answer is obvious, so let’s dive in and check out Unbound Unload!
Who Is Unbound™?
Before we do anything, let’s discover who this company is. Unbound™ is a newer supplement company that launched in May 2021. It’s a division of NutraBio, and the point is to create hardcore supplements that are different from the standard NutraBio line. The Unbound™ line right now consists of 10 extreme products that, like NutraBio itself, are exceptionally dosed and completely transparent. As we will soon see, even the “Other Ingredients” are transparent – long a NutraBio hallmark.
What Is Unbound™ Unload Pre-Workout
Now that we know Unbound’s heritage, we can take a closer look at the product. Unload is an intense, aggressive high-stim powerhouse. Unload can be classified as a nootropic/stim pre-workout. The 13 main ingredients in Unload are all about focus and energy. It should be noted that there are also 4 B vitamins that promote energy and help control stress.
That means that Unbound™ is following a trick many other supplement companies use. Namely, if you want pump and performance ingredients, you’ll need to buy Unbent, their stim-free pre-workout. To be honest, while I’m not personally crazy about this tactic, it’s an insane stack, and well worth the extra cost. I also understand the idea from a business perspective.
Let’s Look At The Ingredients
So we know that most likely you’ll need a pump and performance formula to round out your pre-workout needs. I suggest Unbound™ Unbent. In the meantime, let’s take a look at Unload.
A 2-scoop, 9.95g serving provides:
L-Tyrosine (HPLC) – 3,000 mg
This is a huge dose! Tyrosine is a non-essential amino acid that is a precursor for the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. By promoting the increased production of these neurotransmitters, tyrosine improves mental energy, focus, motivation, and alertness. (1, 2)
nooLVL® (inositol-enhanced bonded arginine silicate) – 1,600 mg
Here’s a patented nootropic that increases blood flow to the brain. It also promotes nitric oxide production, so you will experience better pumps. Add Unbent, and your pumps will be unbelievable. Also, increased blood flow means increased nutrient delivery and more oxygen delivery. (3)
Alpha GPC Powder (yielding 300 mg L-alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine) – 600 mg
This ingredient is a precursor to acetylcholine, often referred to as the “learning” neurotransmitter. The brain uses acetylcholine to help regulate central nervous system firing. What does that mean? It means that this neurotransmitter has a key role in muscle contractions as well as general cognitive function. Sounds like something that can help your workouts, right? (4, 5)
Zynamite® [Mangifera indica extract (>60% mangiferin)(leaves)] – 500 mg
Here’s a reasonably new patented nootropic that contains the active ingredient found in mangoes. This ingredient is called Mangifera. This compound is an antioxidant and also enhances cognitive function. (6)
Caffeine Anhydrous – 350 mg
Of course, we all know what caffeine does, right? This is a very solid dose, and there’s another form of caffeine in Unload as well. We’ll touch on that soon.
RhodioPrime™ [Rhodiola crenulata extract (6% salidroside) – 300 mg
Here’s a branded form of rhodiola, the popular herb used for focus and mood enhancement. It’s also an adaptogen, which means it helps the body deal with stress. That includes, of course, the physical stress of working out. In addition, the active ingredient in rhodiola, called salidroside, has been shown to influence the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine, epinephrine, and serotonin. It can also inhibit the enzyme MOA (monoamine oxidase). The end result is extended mood and focus elevation. Also, extended motivation and energy. If that wasn’t enough, it can help control the “crash” effect caused by so many high stim pre-workouts. (7, 8, 9)
enXtra® [Alpinia galanga extract] – 300 mg
Here’s yet another patented ingredient. This one extends alertness. Of course, it will work synergistically with caffeine. (10)
Isn’t it great to have a pre-workout that’s not only this potent but uses researched, patented ingredients? Let me tell you, that beats a weak prop blend (or 2, or 3, depending on the product) any day!
Mucuna pruriens Extract – 153 mg
This is a source of velvet bean, which contains l-dopa, a precursor to the neurotransmitter dopamine. Velvet bean is a popular supplement in its own right, and you will find quite a few products on Bodybuilding Supplements Store | I’ll Pump You Up (illpumpyouup.com) that contains this ingredient.
This neurotransmitter controls reward, motivation, and motor function. It also improves focus and mood.
zum XR® (yielding 100 mg delayed-release caffeine) – 139 mg
This is a time-release form of caffeine. This patented compound provides 100mg, bringing the total caffeine content to 450 mg. The fact that its slow release helps eliminate jitters, and the crash. It also extends energy. (11)
AstraGin® – 50 mg
Here’s a patented absorption enhancer. It’s all about absorption! The addition of AstraGin ensures you get the most out of Unload.
Rauwolscine – 2 mg
Also known as alpha-yohimbine, this is a potent stimulant. It’s also one reason you definitely need to start with 1 scoop of Unload.
Yohimbine HPLC – 2 mg
Here’s another form of yohimbe. It’s another stimulant, and the potent dose of these two forms, plus the caffeine, plus the other stims, may well create one of the most intense stim experiences you’ve had in a while! Again, better start with one scoop, unless you’re a high-stim veteran.
Huperzine A [as 20 mg Huperzia serrata] – 200 mcg
Finally, we have huperzine, another compound known to improve focus and cognitive function. It does this by extending the effects of acetylcholine in the brain.
Other Ingredients – This is here to show Unbound’s dedication to full disclosure labeling, right down to the “Other Ingredients”. Talk about knowing what’s in your pre-workout.
Citric acid 1,100 mg, natural flavors 815 mg, malic acid 550 mg, sucralose 189 mg, acesulfame potassium 126 mg, anti-foam 100 mg (maltodextrin, canola oil, silicon dioxide.)
How Do I Use It?
If you’re a beginner, start with 1 scoop. If you’re used to high stim pre-workouts, you can use the suggested 2 scoops. Either way, mix it with 12-16oz water. Take 20 minutes before your workout.
What Can I Stack It With?
Stack it with a pump formula (Unbent). Also, add a hydration/intra-workout formula. Of course, the intra-workout should have EAAs/BCAAs. I suggest NutraBio Intra Blast.
Find Unbound supplements here: Unbound – I’ll Pump You Up (illpumpyouup.com)
Find NutraBio Intra Blast here: NutraBio Intra Blast – I’ll Pump You Up (illpumpyouup.com)
You can find all your supplements right here: Bodybuilding Supplements Store | I’ll Pump You Up (illpumpyouup.com)
This is definitely one of the most hardcore stim and focus pre-workouts on the market. Add a pump-based pre-workout such as Unbent, and it’s even more powerful. If you’re looking for an extreme workout experience, it’s time for Unbound™ Unload Pre-Workout!
- Fernstrom, J. D., & Fernstrom, M. H. (2007). Tyrosine, phenylalanine, and catecholamine synthesis and function in the brain. The Journal of nutrition, 137(6 Suppl 1), 1539S–1548S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/137.6.1539S
- Klein, M. O., Battagello, D. S., Cardoso, A. R., Hauser, D. N., Bittencourt, J. C., & Correa, R. G. (2019). Dopamine: Functions, Signaling, and Association with Neurological Diseases. Cellular and molecular neurobiology, 39(1), 31–59. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10571-018-0632-3
- The benefits of inositol-stabilized arginine silicate as a workout ingredient | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)
- Buchman, A. L., Jenden, D., & Roch, M. (1999). Plasma free, phospholipid-bound and urinary free choline all decrease during a marathon run and may be associated with impaired performance. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 18(6), 598–601.
- Bellar, D., LeBlanc, N. R., & Campbell, B. (2015). The effect of 6 days of alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine on isometric strength. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 12, 42. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12970-015-0103-x
- Mangiferin: An effective therapeutic agent against several disorders (Review) (spandidos-publications.com)
- Shevtsov, V. A., Zholus, B. I., Shervarly, V. I., Vol’skij, V. B., Korovin, Y. P., Khristich, M. P., Roslyakova, N. A., & Wikman, G. (2003). A randomized trial of two different doses of a SHR-5 Rhodiola rosea extract versus placebo and control of capacity for mental work.
- Spasov, A. A., Wikman, G. K., Mandrikov, V. B., Mironova, I. A., & Neumoin, V. V. (2000). A double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of the stimulating and adaptogenic effect of Rhodiola rosea SHR-5 extract on the fatigue of students caused by stress during an examination period with a repeated low-dose regimen. Phytomedicine : international journal of phytotherapy and phytopharmacology, 7(2), 85–89. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0944-7113(00)80078-1
- NNB Nutrition – RhodioPrime
- Effect of Alpinia galanga on Mental Alertness and Sustained Attention With or Without Caffeine: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Study (essentialnutrition.com.br)
- zümXR (zumxr.com)